When this 1887 Carriage House was purchased, it was literally caving in. It was originally built to service a two-family summer residence and the building was originally divided down the center and contained duplicate horse stalls, carriage bays, hay lofts, and stairs, with one side a mirror image of the other. The extensive renovation created a new apartment on the second floor that is entered on the south end of the first floor where horse stalls had been removed by the previous owner. Inside the entrance, original bead board was preserved and a column that originally separated the stalls was repositioned at the bottom of a new stair. On the second floor, the two halves of the hay loft were combined and a sliding barn door that had originally been on the first floor was installed to create a large opening between the living area and bedroom. Two pairs of loft doors that overlook the street were replicated and “Juliet balconies” were added to create an open feel. Original bead board, wood floors, multi-light windows and exposed beams were preserved and featured in the new design.
Show More +